Friday, September 27, 2019

Backyard Bit


Not exactly in the backyard, but just outside the front gate, I recently witnessed what I at first thought was a mating “dance” by two rainbow lorikeets. With heads bobbing, and with wings continually raised then lowered, they circled on the footpath for several minutes. When they at last flew away, I realised that they were “performing” around a dead lorikeet. The dead bird showed no sign of injury. It had possibly been hit by a car while flying low across the street, and, although fatally wounded, had been able to make its way to the footpath.

I have only once before seen a “ritual performance” by birds around a dead one of their species. This was by Indian mynas. I wonder if any other club member has witnessed similar bird behaviour.
                                                                                                      


 Article and photo by Michael Rooke

No comments: